Monday, April 20, 2009

Spinach and Leek Risotto with Goat Cheese

This recipe was modified from a recipe in the April 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times. Once they post it on their website I'll post the original recipe. Their recipe calls for a pressure cooker and fennel. 1. I do not have a pressure cooker, and after looking them up online, I'm pretty sure I don't want one, and 2. I don't do fennel or anything else that remotely resembles anything related to licorice.


J'aime beaucoup: Spinach and Leek Risotto with Goat Cheese

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach (or more to taste)
8 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
1 leek, white and light green green parts chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 to 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley, and oregano)
2 oz. aged goat cheese, grated (I used Midnight Moon)

Directions:
Saute chopped leeks, green onion, garlic, and olive oil in a large sauce pan until tender/translucent. Rinse rice and add to the pot. Cook rice and vegetable mixture until rice is translucent, stirring regularly (approx. 5 mins.) Add spinach and stir. Add vegetable broth and a pinch of salt. Stir all contents together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Allow rice to absorb all moisture (approx. 30 mins.) Turn off heat once rice is cooked. Add goat cheese and chopped herbs and mix into rice. Add salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy!

*I did not add pepper. I added a lot of oregano, but I think it was a little overpowering. Next time I'll use 2 or three sprigs of oregano and use more basil and parsley. I think this would also be good with asparagus, but Scott doesn't like asparagus, and since it was only for us I skipped it. If you like asparagus give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment