Monday, April 13, 2009

Ms. G-L's Famous Crepes

I'm not saying that I'm the best crêpe maker you'll ever meet, or even that I have the best recipe. What I will say is that my crêpes are famous among my students who start begging for them the first day of the semester. They get them once per marking period, mais c'est tout. There are sweet crêpes and savory crêpes, but this recipe is for sweet crêpes only. Fill them with whatever fruit, jam, syrup, or other sweet you have at your disposal, or eat them just as they are.

J'adore: Crêpes

Ingredients:
scant 1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup (plus one tablespoon) all-purpose flour
2 1/4 cups milk

Directions:
In a medium or large sized mixing bowl combine the sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, melted butter, water, salt, vanilla, and eggs. (I use a whisk since I find that the melted butter tends to coagulate when it comes in contact with the colder ingredients). Alternate adding the milk and flour, mixing well after each addition. Try to work out most of the lumps, but don't go too crazy with the whisk.

Grease a non-stick skillet with margarine or cooking spray and turn burner on to medium-low heat. Pour 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup of the batter into the skillet while holding the skillet above the burner. Quickly move the skillet around in a circular motion so that the batter coats the entire bottom of the pan. Depending on the size of your skillet you may have to play around with the amount of batter you use; crêpes should be thin like tortillas. When the top seems to have cooked, flip the crêpe over and cook the other side. The whole process for each crêpe should take less than a minute.

Fill and fold the finished crêpes as you like. When I make them at school I allow my students the choice of any combination of bananas, chocolate (usually hot fudge), and whipped cream. I fold them into triangles, but you can also make them like burritos. Scott likes them with strawberry jam. Fresh strawberries are wonderful with crêpes when they're in season. If you're a fan of nutella, that's another classic crêpe filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment