Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Best Homemade Pancakes We've Ever Had

We've been looking for a good pancake recipe for a while. I tried searching online everywhere, but I never found anything that looked that great. I grew up on whole wheat buttermilk pancakes; Scott grew up on Aunt Jemima's, but we didn't want either of those. We settled on Betty Crocker's recipe from a book I got for our wedding, but we still weren't satisfied. I finally looked on epicurious.com tonight and found a recipe that looked promising. Boy did it pay off! These pancakes were like diner pancakes. They were light and fluffy. They smelled delicious and looked scrumptious. This recipe will stick with us for many years to come. Find the original recipe by clicking the hyperlink. Below is what I did. We didn't have any buttermilk, so I used an old trick my mom taught me and mixed some milk with plain yogurt. Both of us agree that these are the best homemade pancakes we've ever eaten.

J'adore: Buttermilk Pancakes with Bananas and Walnuts

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups well shaken buttermilk*
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 ripe banana**
1/4 cup walnut pieces**

*Note: if you do not have buttermilk you can substitute a mixture of plain yogurt and milk. I happened to have some plain Greek yogurt in the fridge. I mixed 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1 cup of milk. Whisk it to get a buttermilk-like consistency.
**Scott prefers his pancakes plain, so I added the banana and walnuts to half of the batter in another bowl. You can substitute any kind of fruit or nut that you like in your pancakes. Blueberries, strawberries, or even chocolate chips would probably be equally good.

Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients and whisk again until combined. Fold in banana slices and walnuts (or other desired fruit, nut, etc.)

Make as you would any pancakes. Just be careful: these pancakes spread!

No comments:

Post a Comment